Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Delicious Dinner

I made a New Year's "intention" (I don't make resolutions...I'll post about that one day...) to cook more simply.  Hopefully this will encourage me to eat more vegetable-based meals for dinner after a long day at work, when it becomes really easy to just eat a cheese sandwich.  I have a love of peanut butter so I was intrigued with Emily's healthy peanut sauce.  Although we don't have Trader Joe's here in Houston (boo!) I did visit one in Charlotte, NC  while in the area visiting my parents for Christmas.  While there, I bought some peanut flour.  Since I love Asian food I decided Emily's recipe would be my first test of the product. See her website for how to make the sauce (link above).   I used it on tofu and served with broccoli.  What a great dinner, something green with some protein, all in about 25 minutes and with ingredients I usually have on hand. It was delicious!

Tofu with Peanut Sauce and Broccoli


Ingredients:
Emily's healthy peanut sauce, 1 1/2 portions
1 package of extra firm tofu
Coconut oil
2 big stalks of broccoli, washed and trimmed into small florets, stems sliced into chunks.

Directions: 
1.  Take tofu out of the package  Drain the water.  Wrap several times in a large dish towel and place it under a heavy skillet or other heavy item.  Set aside.
2.  Make the peanut sauce.
3.  Remove tofu from the towel and cut it into about 1 inch cube.  (Slice in half lengthwise and then cross ways into 4 sections.)
4. Heat coconut oil in a non-stick skillet.  When hot, place tofu in a single layer in the pan.  Leave it to brown while you prepare the broccoli.
5. Place the broccoli into a steamer and cook until tender, not mushy, about 10 minutes.
6.  As the tofu browns, turn it onto each side, so that it is well browned on all side.
7.  When desired doneness reached, add the peanut sauce to the pan and stir like crazy.  It will get amazingly thick.
8.  Serve in a bowl side by side with the broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment